Sunday, June 27, 2010

Writing Circles and Contests and Groups...OH MY!

This has truly been an awesome weekend.  I've found all kinds of resources for aspiring authors that I never even knew existed!

Firstly, I've joined MyWritingCircle.  It seems like a great opportunity to get feedback from other people, some of whom might have interests that are totally different from your own.  I've already met one cool person through this!

I've also joing Amy Atwell's Writing Goal In A Month club or GIAM.  I found it through at 'lecturer' at RomanceU.  RomanceU is a GREAT resource.  It's so cool to hear stories of people who went from being 'writers' to 'authors'.  So many of the 'lecturers' (guest bloggers) are willing to give information on how they managed their accomplishments.  This site is HIGHLY recommended.

I've also entered my very first contest.  I've read that contests are the best way to get your foot in the door.  The benefits are two-fold.  1)  You get feedback from fellow writers and judges.  Some of those judges might be seasoned multi-published authors, editors, or even agents!  2)  You get exposure.  Contests are a great way to test the waters.  A lot of times, the grand prize is a meeting with an agent/editor or 2 (or even 3 sometimes!).  The contest I've entered is just a one paragraph pitch...the grand prize?  A three chapter critique by an actual agent!  That rocks pretty hard if you ask me!

My goal for the next month is to complete the prologue and first three chapters of the first book in The Sanguine Chronicles.  Also on the agenda?  Join RWA and the Georgia RWA.  $$$$$ well spent!

Oh, and I've changed the design of the blog...how come making it prettier seems to make it that much more fun?!

Thanks for droppin' in!

:KB:

1 comment: